Guntly Farm, California
Property Types: Farms, Home
Activities & Amenities
- Attached Garage
Situated in the Southeast section of the fertile plains of Potter Valley, Guntly Farm is one of those multi-generational farms that rarely comes to market. Productive land of this caliber is an asset that continues to give throughout the ages and few want to part with it. With up to 135 acres of irrigated fields, towering rows of ancient oak’s lining the water canals, holding 65 acres of drylands pastures with big vistas over the fields and beyond, Guntly Farms epitomizes the convergence of function and beauty.
Historically, the Farm was homesteaded by earlier settlers in the 1800s and functioned as a well rounded Family Farm. When the Guntly Family purchased the Farm in the 1950’s the focus narrowed to sheep rearing, grain, clover and hay production with a smattering of hog production. Later the Farm evolved from a Sheep operation to more of a Cow/Calf operation on rotational grazing with some hay production continued. The Farm has excellent potential for a large scale vineyard conversion, though current Owners have been reluctant to go that direction.
Besides agricultural production, the natural resources of the Farm were managed to increase both the quality and quantity of wildlife. The Farm played host to a State Certified Bird Reserve wherein pheasants and chukars were reared on-site and released for paying upland bird hunters. Similarly, Guntly Farm was part of a much larger California Fish & Wildlife Private Wildlife Management Unit (PLM) wherein the Owners where issued a certain amount of transferable Tule Elk tags. The Farm acted as a magnate for elk with its lush irrigated fields situated on the cusps between the valley floor and the rolling hills going up into the mountains. Since discontinuing the PLM, the Owners have deer fenced their eastern boundary to discourage the elk migration to their fields, though this could be reversed at anytime.
The Farmhouse is modest yet utilitarian and fitting for its intended purpose. With 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and an attached 2 car garage with a partially covered rear patio that holds an Endless Pool, the house would serve as a good base as one built their dream house on the hill or be an excellent guest or caretaker’s house down the road. The outbuildings again are functional and serve their purpose though improvements could be made.
What’s truly striking about the Farm is the quality and quantity of the land and water resources located in an area of natural and contrasting beauty - flat productive land framed in by towering tree lined canals with land changing to rolling hills all backdropped against a beautiful mountain range. Generally where one gets productive land it is flat and uninspiring., The Guntly Farm is truly the exception and awaits the new Owner’s imagination to take this natural beauty to the next level.
- Total of 200.6 acres with 3APN Numbers
- 135 acres in the Potter Valley Water District, 65 acres dry farmed or grazed, 10 acres consisting of the House and other Farm related improvements.
- Farmhouse (1350+/- Sq. Ft.) 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath with attached garage and covered deck and Endless Pool
- Exquisite Hilltop Building sites with western facing views sitting above the lush productive fields of the Farm below.
- Hay Barn, Livestock Barn and other Outbuildings
- Abundant Wildlife including Tule Elk, Blacktail Deer, Quail, Doves, Migratory Waterfowl during the season, etc.. The Farm previously hosted a state licensed Bird Preserve as well as was part of a larger PLM Program allowing for Tule Elk hunts
- Old creek and spring fed swimming hole