Sandy Ballou has led an exciting life of various professions, grounded by his respect and belief in agriculture and the benefits of an outdoor lifestyle. Growing up horseback Sandy incorporated his love of the outdoors in every step of life. While attending Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Sandy would leave for Wyoming the day school got out every year to work at the R Lazy S Ranch and returned the day before school began.
After college, Sandy returned to The Thacher School, where he had also completed a year long internship to teach students horsemanship and packing. Following Thacher he spent the next eight years in Oregon working as a fresh produce shipper, packer and broker. In 1997, Sandy and his family returned to Grass Valley, California, and bought a portion of his grandfather’s ranch. Along with his wife Sarah, Sandy started a boarding and training facility. Several years later, Sandy purchased the local saddle shop and created Sierra Saddlery and Farrier Supply.
Sandy has received gubernatorial appointments from both Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gov. Edmond G. Brown to serve on the 17th District Agricultural Association fair board where Sandy served for 13 years. Sandy was also a member of Nevada County Farm Bureau where he served on the board of directors for 9 years and served 2 years as president.
Sandy continues to enjoy training horses, running a few cows, and hunting and fishing as time allows. Sandy is an advocate of the outdoor lifestyle believing that animals, dirt, and nature teach the best lessons in life.
- Listing StatusAvailableEagle's Nest is the most unique estate in the Sierra Foothills. Overlooking the Bear River, with river views from almost every room, this gorgeous 10,000+- square foot home has left nothing out. The estate is off a private road and rests on 150+- acres with — Read more
- Listing StatusSoldTrinity Ranch South is an impeccable property blending beauty and practicality. This 79+ acre property is set up as an exceptional facility for horses, cows or the combination of the two. Designed as a world class cutting horse facility it would also be perfect for — Read more
- Listing StatusAvailableForesthill Divide is a remarkable piece of real estate that has potential to go in many directions. There are 15 parcels comprising 896+- acres. The property has excellent recreation with miles of trails for horses, ATV’s and hiking. Sitting on top of the Divide the — Read more
- Listing StatusAvailableThe Yuba River Ranch is an exceptional 690+- acre property with paved road access and coveted Yuba River frontage. The ranch is ideal for a retreat, hunting property or recreational use. It is also used for seasonal cattle grazing. There is power to the property — Read more
- Listing StatusAvailableRecreational activities are endless. One can ride horseback, ATV’s or motorcycles, hike or mountain bike. Any or all of these are at your doorstep. The property also has pig, deer, quail and turkey for hunting enthusiasts. The Bear River is the northern boundary of the — Read more
- Listing StatusAvailableForesthill North is a remarkable piece of real estate that has potential to go in many directions. There are 7 parcels comprising 441+- acres. The property has excellent recreation with miles of trails for horses, ATV’s and hiking. Sitting on top of the Divide the — Read more
- Listing StatusUnder ContractWillow Glen is a remarkable, charming estate that has been perfectly restored to embrace it’s originality but provide all the modern comforts. The 2650 sq ft farmhouse was built in the late 1800s. At the time it would have been suited for the aristocrats of — Read more